Lee County Courthouse
The Old Lee County Courthouse sits on land donated by the founder of our community. The block was designated as the "Public Square" and it has been graced by three different courthouse buildings. Construction on the present one was completed in 1901. The structure is of Grecian Architecture and was built at a cost of $124,204.
Nachusa House Hotel
Up until a few years ago, it was billed as the oldest continually operating hotel in Illinois, and one of the five oldest in the country. It has seen 36 United States Presidents take office, dating back to James Van Buren, and has stood through the years as a symbol of our past history and heritage. The hotel opened on December 10, 1853. It was named "Nachusa House" for John Dixon's Indian name, meaning "head-hair-white." The hotel served travelers on the Galena Trail. Renovation of this historic landmark was begun in late 1997, and completed in the spring of 1999.
First Baptist Church
On October 1, 1869, the cornerstone was laid for the First Baptist Churh. The ornate architure is characteristic of the period before the turn of the century. The structure, located on Second Street between Galena and Ottawa Avenues, cost $15,000 to erect.
The Van Epps House
Located at 212 S. Ottawa Avenue, this was the first structure in Dixon to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places. This outstandinge example of Italianate Architecture was built in circa 1855. It was the home of William H. Van Epps.
Dixon Public Library
The Dixon Public Library was constructed in 1900, and was originally named the O. B. Dodge Library. Some years later the library name was changed. It has one of the finest collection of books and materials of any community of comparable size in Illinois. An extensive collection of Abraham Lincoln memorabilia is housed in the library located at the corner of Hennepin Avenue and Third Street.
Old Post Office
The Old Post Office was constructed of Bedford Stone, marble and terrazzo at a cost of $90,000. The revolving bronze door cost $8,000 alone. The structure was completed in 1911, and postal operations were conducted from this building for nearly 52 years. Today it is the home of the Lee County Council On Aging.
The Crawford House
The Crawford House was built in 1869. Located on the corner of Third Street and Ottawa Avenue, across from the courthouse, it is one of the remaining spacious mansions still standing in Dixon. Used as a private residence for most of its life, the building was utilized as a nursing home in the early 1950s. Currently it is a "Victorian Bed & Breakfast" establishment.
Built on the original site of the Dixon Opera House which was destroyed by fire on February 18, 1920. By 1922, the Dixon Theater would open its doors to serve the community for the next 60 years. The theater has undergone major restoration through volunteer and community support and involvement.
Jones Funeral Home
The three story Bedford Stone building was built by William J. McAlpine and originally used as his residence for a short time. Established by Royal Jones in 1897, it is one of the oldest funeral homes in Dixon, and has continued under family management for over a century. From its unique architecture to the stained glass windows, it is a structure that looks as good as when first built.
War Memorial Arch
The War Memorial Arch was first built in 1919, for Lee County's celebration and homecoming of the soldiers returning from World War I. Often referred to as simply the "Dixon Arch," this familiar landmark of Dixon has greeted travelers and residents for some 93 years.
Courthouse Lawn Marker
In his rise to statesman and becoming our country's 16th President, Abraham Lincoln traveled through this area on numerous occasions. On July 17, 1856, Lincoln delivered a political speech on the lawn of the Lee County Courthouse. A boulder marks the spot where the speech was delivered.
First Christian Church
Located at 123 S. Hennepin Avenue, this is the church attended by Ronald Reagan and his family when they lived in Dixon.
Wings Of Peace & Freedom Park
The Wings of Peace and Freedom sculpture was donated to the City of Dixon by a Bulgarian immigrant. A full size replica of a section of the Berlin wall stand in recognition and appreciation of President Reagan and his efforts to attain peace and freedom for the people of the world. Located on the Northeast corner of Galena Avenue and 2nd Street, Dixon.
John Dixon's Cabin Marker
The location of city founder, John Dixon's Cabin, was at the foot of one of the bridges that today spans the Rock River. A boulder on the northwest corner of Peoria Avenue and First Street marks the location. "Father" Dixon operated a ferry in the area between the existing bridges.
Dixon Riverfront Plaza
Located on the south river bank between the bridges, the Riverfront Plaza is a great place to enjoy conversation, have lunch, or enjoy the scenic view. Entertainment is provided on Fridays during the summer from noon to 1:00 p.m.
The Next Picture Show
Located in the heart of downtown Dixon, at 113 W. First Street, this structure was built in 1854. The building has been restored and is now a fine arts center. You're invited to explore the arts center to see current shows, exhibiting artists, workshops, classes and special events. A place where art is created, shown, studied and celebrated. Gallery hours are Tues. thru Sat. 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and also by appointment.